Sunday, January 24, 2016

Investigating Genres

My investigation will be on the Quick Reference Guide. Partially because it's the option I'm least familiar with. But mostly it's because the examples have such pleasing graphics to look at and I'm scared as to how well I could emulate such fancy-looking articles.

Bowden, J. Albert II. "elements-of-design-quick-reference-sheet-print-posters" 7/8/2013 via Flickr. Attribution 2.0 Generic License
1. What purpose(s) does this genre usually serve?
A QRG serves to display a wide array of information, usually on a central topic that is somewhat difficult to comprehend, on a well-organized web page. The QRG uses a combination of graphics, charts, and data to explain its topic in extensive yet coherent detail.

2. Where, how, or in what context do readers usually find this genre?
Users typically find this genre on any informative medium, such as newspapers and magazines. However, with the wide range of possibilities that computers have in regards to design and research, most QRGs today are found on news websites.

3. Who is the typical audience for this genre?
QRGs are typically intended for an audience that desires to be informed. They could be very useful for students or managers for research purposes.

4. What are some of the key features or characteristics that are unique to this genre, distinguishing it from other texts?
What makes the QRG so accessible is its use of various forms of media (photos, graphs, videos) in relation to the informative text, which contains helpful subheadings and links to follow the data presented. All of this is displayed in a manner pleasing to the eyes.

5. Based on your answers to the questions, come up with a definition in your own words.
A quick reference guide is a single-topic article that contains the relevant background, data, and graphics in a single page.

Reflection
After reading and commenting on Ellie and Tim's posts on video essays and podcasts, respectively, I'm happy to have more insight on each of the topics, since I was mostly skeptical on their execution. Ellie brought up how the video essay can be useful in assisting visual learners, while Tim detailed the informative nature of podcasting. I'll be sure to focus on these points during my projects.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you chose to write about QRG for this post, and I enjoyed reading it because that is the genre that I am most nervous about! You did a great job briefly describing the purpose for a Quick Reference guide and I think that your post helped me understand how to put one together. I have trouble making things short and concise so I appreciated this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob,

    I totally agree with you that the QRF's look intimidating... I'm not that organized and artistic, and I'd probably want to write a plain old essay over a QRF. However, your post showed me that if I gave it a try it might not be that bad. I like the idea of the QRF, or as you said, "single-topic article." The challenge in creating one seems to be how to pick info that is most important/relevant, and then the layout and design. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob, I enjoyed reading your post because of how informative it was. I definitely agree with what you said about Quick Reference Guide's being intimidating. I like how you wrote about different approaches you can take to writing in general. All in all I learned a lot from your post that I previously didn't know about writing.

    ReplyDelete