Sunday, March 6, 2016

My Discipline

I've had a passion for storytelling for some time now, which has led me to pursue Film and Television as my college major.

Students in my field learn the history and aesthetics of motion pictures from the small to the big screen. We learn of production, distribution, exhibition, cinematography, and narrative, and discover how they fit together to make a coherent product. As students further into their college career, they learn the hands-on aspects of filmmaking, and many gain the opportunity to create their own films.

Degrees in this major cover a wide array of occupations, even with the increasing exclusivity of major film studios. Many film majors go on to work in the production aspects of film, helping to finance and support the movies their studio is working on. Others will handle the technical side, with the help of engineering degrees, and become equipment operators. Those of us with high standards may push to become involved in the filmmaking process, whether that be screenwriting, directing, or editing.

I saw a unique vision in what I could potentially bring to the film medium, which is what drew me to this major. A good number of my inspirations are still major players in film today. Disney, if you've heard of it, never seems to fail at striking gold with the family-friendly movies they produce each year. Some of the most up-and-coming directors of recent years include the storytelling genius Christopher Nolan, and the wizard behind the camera Alejandro Iñárritu. Actors such as Tom Hardy and Oscar Isaac seem to be taking over the industry with their widespread blockbuster roles.


No comments:

Post a Comment