Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Passive and Active Voice

Here are the verbs sorted by active/passive voice.

Active (Specific)
revolved
assassinating
threatened
retaliate
unfolded
understand
rewind
sprung
joked
ordered
assassinate
featured
center
journey
interview
recruited
take
landed
escalated
condemned
complained
wrote
announced
censored
removing
cutting
melts
leaked
launched
attempt
denied
threatened
screen
canceling
announced
voiced
opting
screen
releasing
grossing
recovered
concluded
pay
watch
leading
lived

Active (General)
taking
say
go
saw
led
mean
being
changed
turned
asking
hit
find
called
took
led
saying
ended
missing
took
sits
means


Passive
slated
released
directed
intended
put
finalized
completed
released
received
cancelled
considered
leak
canceled
give
scrubbed
affected
demoted
replaced

I am surprised at how specific the actions in my essay were laid out. My use of passive voice worked in the context of the script, and I couldn't find any instances where active voice would improve the grammatical quality of the sentence. At the same time, I think I should try to be more consistent with my use of active voice and try to be more vivid in the use of my verbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment